I read Brandon Sanderson’s year in review, and I felt tired. Seriously, who write that much in one year? Still, I was inspired to review my own year and make some new writing goals. It turns out I had a pretty busy year myself.
It has only been this full year that I have worked on my writing career with full-time intensity. I published my first novel, Gryphendale, in 2016 and then mostly let it market itself. My blog has been around since 2010, but I wasn’t being consistent with it. I sat down and wrote out what I wanted to do with my life. I discovered writing was it and had been it for a long time. I started writing The Shadow of the Gryphon in September of 2017.
So, in January of 2018, I had very little of my writing career established. That surprises me looking back on it. I didn’t even have a plan. In the course of this year, I wrote and published The Shadow of the Gryphon and even had an audiobook made of it. I finished the final draft of The Gryphon’s Handmaiden which will be published in January 2019 and completed a rough draft of The Gryphon of Stone. I then wrote The Secrets of Cinnamon Cinderguard and have it sitting with its second publisher seeking traditional publication. I have written ten short stories with two being published in magazines. I have written three non-fiction articles (two which are humorous) all of which have been accepted for publication. I have done three author interviews and an AMA. I have written over fifty blog posts, most are book reviews, and I became a moderator of a Goodreads group. I redesigned the cover for Gryphendale three times and designed all the covers for the Truthseeker Trilogy. I have also redesigned my blog twice, printed up some business cards, and created a profession author presence on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, Amazon, and Bookbub). I attended Comicpaloosa in which I learned a lot and made some great friends. Honestly, this year has been a dream come true.
So what about next year? Since I am expecting a new baby, I don’t think I’ll be quite so busy with my writing. Here are my goals:
– Continue seeking traditional publishing for The Secrets of Cinnamon Cinderguard
– Self-publish The Gryphon’s Handmaiden and The Gryphon of Stone (already in progress)
– Write 6 short stories
– Write Pirates, Pearl, and Perdition
– Publish poetry collection (the poems are written, but not typed into the computer)
– Get Gryphendale and The Gryphon’s Handmaiden on audiobook (I already have a contract for Gryphendale)
– Publish the Adventures of Sage Goliad in December 2019 (a collection of short stories, most of which is already written)
– Write or commission at least one blog post a week (52 posts)
– Read 60 books
It still sounds like a busy year, but to me, it sounds exciting. I am looking forward to where this writing journey will lead me.